Friday, June 28, 2013

Children – a lifetime of liabilities or Assets?

A recent incident at a playground reminded me that children can be an asset or liability. This is what happens:

About a month ago, my 2-year-old son and I met two friendly and caring children, 7-11 years old (oversea Indian based on their accent). We were at a fitness corner for adults and these two Indian children came along and asked me how old is my son and what his name is. They even cautioned my son to be careful when using this fitness equipment. I was very impressed with their upbringing and friendliness. I thought these two Indian children will go far with this attitude in life. Their parents did bring them up well.

About a week ago, at the same fitness corner, my son and I met two unfriendly and malicious children, 4-5 years old (Chinese). What happened was this: first, they glared at us, then they insulted us with words like “baby goes home”, and even wanted to throw water at us. I suspect, they would have thrown water if I was not there. Next, one of them wanted to sit on a fitness station that my son was using. As my son refused to get up, he even shows a kicking action. (I suspect he would kick my son if I was not there). I intervened by shouting “wait!” Lastly, a black girl about age 4-5 years old came along. She climbed up the fitness station with her bare hands, and the 2 malicious children upon seeing this, tried to make her fall down by hitting her hands or feet. Thankfully, she held on. Once again, she was insulted by the two children with words like “baby go home”. The black girl had enough of this insults and pointed and shouted back at the rude boy. The boy pointed and shouted back at the black girl. Luckily, the girl’s mother called her back. I am sure the mum saw the quarrel but she chose to ask her to leave. I am disgusted of this two boy’s attitude and their malice. The girl, I am impressed with her mum. She chose to let it go and get her child to focus on something else.

Well, children can be an asset or liability. It all depends on their parents’ upbringing. Recently, we heard that there is a stabbing incident at Orchard Cineleisure. Will these two malicious boys be one of the fatalities in future? I am worried for them in future. Will they become a liability or asset of their parent, family and our country?

No comments:

Post a Comment